A game room is ideal if you have kids or love to entertain a lively crowd. How will you use your game room to the fullest? Here are some popular ideas:
- Set up arcade and pinball machines
- Create a space dedicated to foosball, air hockey, or ping pong
- Design the ultimate video game hangout
- Have family board game nights
- Host sporting events and movie nights on a large projector screen
- Have friends over for billiards or poker tournaments, complete with appetizers and drinks
- Make a party room where your kids and their friends want to hang out
Design Considerations When Building a Rec Room
Before you begin your project, make sure you know the answers to these questions:
- Where will the rec room go? Popular options include finishing the basement, converting the attic, or enclosing the loft. If you don’t have any extra square footage available, consider creating a purpose-built home addition or building a detached shed or garage to serve as your rec room.
- What does the rec room need to succeed?
The room may require extra outlets, internet wiring, a built-in sound system, and specialty lighting. Consider that you’ll need to install plumbing if you want to include a wet bar or an additional restroom. And it never hurts to have motorized blackout curtains and soundproof walls.
- How will you decorate your rec room?
Think about selecting a theme based on the use you have in mind. A sophisticated man cave may be suitable for playing poker or watching football, while a retro ’80s vibe could be the perfect backdrop for playing video games or pinball.